If Valentine’s Day left you feeling disheartened, maybe it’s time to reevaluate the foundation of your relationship.
Start by checking in with yourself to see if you’re getting your needs met in your relationship. Take some time to honestly reflect on and write down the answers to the following questions:
• How do I feel when I’m with my partner?
• Does this relationship bring me happiness and joy?
• Am I attracted to my partner?
• Do I look forward to spending time with my partner?
• Am I harboring unspoken resentments about the past? If so, what are they?
• Do I withhold myself or my inner world from my partner? If so, why?
• Do I find myself thinking critically or judgmentally about my partner frequently? If so, why?
I believe the combination of a solid friendship and passion make for a successful intimate relationship. Don’t sell yourself short by skimping on one of these critical ingredients. If you’re not sure, talk it over with a friend or a professional who can give you an unbiased opinion and help you make healthy choices for yourself. Maybe there are some things you can change to improve your relationship. And maybe there aren’t. Either way, life’s too short to be stuck with someone who doesn’t bring you joy. You deserve a fulfilling connection with your partner.
Stay tuned for next month’s article which will begin a four-part series that will highlight four distinct communication strategies that are destructive to relationships. Until then, be well and love one another!